Lucas and his fancy Hearing Aids!


Friday, December 31, 2010

Happy New Year!

I hope everyone has had a good year, and if not, I hope 2011 treats you well! 2010 was a great year for us, some things didn't happen quite as expected, but that doesn't make it any less amazing.

First, today is my four year wedding anniversary with my amazing husband Norman. We've been together 9 years in March, and I couldn't be happier than to be married to my best friend. Things aren't always roses and sunshine, but we always make it through together. I have been so impressed with how he has handled Lucas' hearing loss, and done everything that has needed to be done for him with love and compassion. I've been pregnant every other anniversary so far...this year is an unpregnant year, I'm thinking next year should be a pregnant one! ;)

Last year at this time found me about 4 months pregnant. We found out in early December we were having another little boy, a brother for Noah. I had a very large subchorionic bleed at 7 weeks with Lucas, and it was touch and go whether or not I would end up having a miscarriage. That 19 week scan showed the bleed was almost gone, which was the biggest relief to me. It also showed a perfectly normal, healthy baby boy. There was no way to know at that point about his hearing loss, and I'm glad for it. Having one thing to worry about was enough.

March 5th 2010 was Noah's 2nd birthday! He has grown in leaps and bounds this past year. He'll be three in just three months. The official big boy birthday. He is the smartest little man, has a sense of humor way beyond his years, is talking more and more and has an imagination that blows my mind. He has energy that I don't know what to do with (and I wish I could bottle it and keep some for myself!) and has a very strong personality, which can often lead to tantrums. He's rarely mean though, and has a very very sweet sensitive side. He is a FABULOUS older brother to Lucas. Better than I could ever have imagined, and I love seeing the bond between them grow.

April 24th, 2010 our sweet baby boy, that we weren't sure we were going to get to meet, was born. He was born the last day Norman had a show before his due date, exactly one week early, and so Daddy missed it. Here was there in spirit, and thru skype and watched it live. I was in room 13, it wasn't an unlucky room, but it sure was a room with a lot of stories by the time we checked out. We were the room that had Daddy watching thru skype, had the baby that was nearly born on the toilet, and then the room that had the baby that failed the newborn screening.

I won't lie and say that the last part wasn't tough to take. It was. Especially since I had a feeling once I got that news that it wasn't just fluid trapped from birth, despite how quickly he was born. I knew in my gut (and also by the lack of his responses to many sounds, and that all famous baby startle) that he had a hearing loss. Despite the news that sent my world spinning a bit, April 24th was one of the best days of my life. I would not trade the little person that was born on that day for ANYTHING in this entire world. He has enriched my life so much, and this family would not be complete without him in it.

There have been hard things this year. Things like wrapping my brain around what it will mean to have a child with hearing loss. Being told he was profoundly, completely deaf- and fighting to get the right answers since I knew that was wrong. Having lots of appointments, therapies, miles and miles and miles and hours driven in my car. Figuring out babysitters. Feeling like I'm not doing a good enough job at being Mommy to both kids. But despite all that, those are just minor bumps in the road. Things I try not to dwell on too much, but because the good far outweighs the bad.

We have had some amazing experiences because of Lucas' hearing loss. I have met incredible people because of him. They say it takes a village to raise a child. With a child that has special needs, it takes a village, supportive loving family and friends, and a team of caring professionals to help that child grow. How lucky are we to have that in our lives. I have also met other families that have children with hearing loss. They have inspired me so much, with their strength, dedication to their kids, and their positive attitudes. Seeing their amazing children gives me so much hope and encouragement for Lucas. I value the relationships I have been able to build because of Lucas.

We are part of a very tight knit, wonderful community now. Noah and Lucas will grow up being part of both the hearing and the Deaf community. They will have experiences that will enrich their lives, and meet remarkable people. They will grow up with more empathy towards those that are "different" than the rest of us. As a family we will be surrounded by people and families that know what we are going through, will care and lend a supporting shoulder, and down the line, I will do the same for a new family going through the same thing. I wouldn't have wished for Lucas to be deaf, but if I had to choose, I would have chosen this path. It may have it's dark spots, but there is a whole lot of light.

To close out 2010, we bought our first house. A lovely ranch for plenty of room for us to grow and for the boys to play. We will have the horses here hopefully next year, and a pony is on the list for the kids! :D I wish life would slow down a bit (My big boy is almost 3 and my BABY is 8 months old!!), but I'm so excited to see them grow up here, and the memories we will create.

Happy New Years to you and yours! I hope 2011 is a wonderful year for you all, filled with love, laughter and health. Thank you all so very much for all the love and support you have given us this past year. We appreciate it more than words can say!

1 comment:

  1. Tonya i couldn't be more proud of you and Norman... Your boys bring me so much happyness just as you and your sisters did....Like i tell you girls all the time you couldn't of asked for a better mom ..well neither can your boys they already have the "BEST MOM" Love you Ton..Dad

    ReplyDelete